Jay Sandvos is a partner at Sunstein who specializes in prosecuting patents to help his clients establish dominant patent portfolios in highly advanced fields of technology. The patents he has obtained for his clients are the crown jewel assets of his clients’ businesses.
- Considerable expertise developing, managing and coordinating large complex patent portfolios.
- Particular skill developing large multi-national patent families and coordinating global patent coverage in the United States, Europe, and Asia.
- Regularly advises and coordinates with patent colleagues outside the United States to guide their clients’ valuable patents through the special customs and practices that are unique to American Patent Law.
- Extensive experience supporting patent litigation with significant roles in numerous patent litigation cases in federal district and appellate courts.
- Prepared numerous formal opinion letters addressing specific circumstances of patent validity, patent infringement, and patent enforceability.
- Wide experience across a broad spectrum of technical fields including speech recognition, speech synthesis, sound processing, medical devices, electronic circuits, microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), computer software, commercial transaction systems, Internet commerce, business methods, and athletic equipment.
- Deep technical background in electronics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, nuclear physics, ionizing radiation, thermodynamics, and heat transfer & fluid flow.
- Before law school, served in the Naval Nuclear Power Program, leading the reactor controls division on the fast attack submarine, USS San Juan (SSN 751).
Professional and Community Involvement
- Author of numerous published commentaries on developments in patent law.
- Past co-chair of the International IP Committee of the Boston Bar Association where he arranged and organized numerous presentations for his peers on trends in intellectual property law.
- CAP 1 certified volleyball coach and active girls’ volleyball coach for the Bedford Gators Volleyball club.
Bar and Court Admissions
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- United States Court of Appeals for Federal Circuit