Thomas Carey’s clients rely on his judgment and expertise in strategic matters, particularly those involving capital-raising, licensing, mergers and acquisitions and tax planning. He advises start-ups and established companies in outsourcing, joint ventures, corporate governance and FDA compliance matters.
- Advises software companies involved in government contracting, including DFARs and ITAR matters.
- Advises inventors and researchers negotiating with universities and research institutions.
- Serves as general counsel to numerous privately-held technology companies, providing advice on executive retention, stock option plans, tax planning and strategic contracting.
- Advises clients regarding privacy laws and regulations, including the GDPR.
- Advises inventors regarding tax treatment of patent sales and licenses.
- Negotiates patent licenses for medical devices, novel drug compounds, business methods and other technologies.
- Advised a co-founder of a natural foods company in connection with management turmoil leading to a successful restructuring, equity infusion, and ultimate sale of business.
- Assisted clients in formation of affiliated entities in Europe, Asia and Australia.
- Provided legal counsel in numerous M&A transactions.
- Managed project development and finance transactions involving major real estate parcels, marinas, landfills and other special-purpose developments.
- Assisted a small biotech company in its first major capital-raising efforts, an SEC registration, and subsequent SEC compliance efforts.
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Intellectual Property Association
- American Bar Association, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Adjunct professor, New England School of Law.
- Yale Club of Boston.
*The Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Icon is a service mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under permission from Reed Elsevier Properties Inc. in accord with the terms and conditions established by Martindale-Hubbell.